HPEditions

Author Arrangements - Flexible Options

Contracts with Authors for the writing of a book

As both a traditional and a hybrid publisher HPEditions offers its authors a variety of different contractual options depending mainly on the intentions of the author and the marketability of the product, namely:

1. a fully paid-for publication service for authors, notably those intending only to produce a book for “in-house” or private consumption such as a book written about a corporation’s or a family’s history to be used for PR or given (or sold privately) to the various members of a corporation or family. In this context, the author would provide the manuscript and HPEditions would provide the services required: consulting on style, content, title, structure, editing, proofing, formatting, production in digital and/or print form(s) as required, consulting, advice on and designing and production of front cover, back cover, writing and/or editing and production of title and front pages as well as introductory and concluding pages, tables of contents etc.  (This option includes various kinds of publishing ranging from books and catalogues etc produced for “in-house” dissemination in a business to purely personal publications sometimes referred to as “vanity press”);
2. an unpaid/partly paid-for publication service for authors (where all, some, very few# or none of the overheads are contributed to by the author) but it is intended that the work be made available publicly for commercial distribution and sale. A wide range of options are negotiable with an inverse relationship between the royalty rates and the author’s financial contribution (and potential marketability). For example, the more the author contributes financially towards the editing, proofing, formatting (for different retail/distribution options), cover design, publication setup (ISBN, digital conversions, print costs) and marketing, then the higher is the royalty rate paid to the author on sales revenue (which is calculated after Print on Demand (PoD) costs and retailer commission are subtracted – NB with a PoD service, printing costs and shipping are deducted from the sale price of each book by the Distributor/retailer. Longer print-runs eg 1,000 copies etc are up-front costs.). Digital sale revenues are also calculated after distributor/retailer percentage eg 30%min at Amazon, is deducted.

  • The maximum royalty percentage on revenues would be 90% where the author contributes an agreed figure equivalent to the publisher’s production overheads AND the other 10% would account for relatively nominal post-publishing administration costs (although any extra services provided by the publisher eg marketing as agreed, handling other rights, managing US and other tax documentation as required etc would be billed separately).
  • On the other hand, a publication service which the author makes the minimal contribution to agreed production costs and outlays, the royalty rate would be 10% and the publisher’s share is 90% UNTIL revenue on sales covers twice the publisher’s agreed production costs and outlays. Thereafter, author royalty rates would rise to 50% and perhaps higher if the sales figures are exceptionally good.
  • Various matters are negotiable eg the services required and also the agreed production overheads may vary from one book to another, marketing and marketing assistance may vary.
  • Arrangements somewhere in between the above maximum and minimum may also be negotiated. The reality however is that very few books published become major successes and “best sellers” are rare. Indeed, many novels published are lucky if they produce revenues that cover production overheads.


#No matter how much revising, editing and perfecting an author has done personally, proofing is always needed, as are formatting and all the other pre-publication set-up and production requirements for both the text and front and back covers. Sometimes these actions are very time-consuming. Thus, even though the agreed production costs and outlays may be much more (often five times more), a minimum contribution is fixed at AUD280 or equivalent (unless waived in exceptional cases).

A detailed contract will be submitted in accordance with the option preferred, the level of preparation of the book and indeed the likely marketability and commercial potential (eg some books are focussed on a very narrow market or are in a highly competitive area).

Naturally, HPEditions has a considerable interest in the success of commercialized publications of its authors and are always available for advice and assistance.